The Department of English and Foreign Languages offers the following scholarships whose stipends are to be used for tuition, books, and fees at ASU. In addition, International Scholarships are awarded to students traveling abroad in the Salamanca program, and Mary Lou Kuhl Scholarships are used for tuition to the Sand Hills Writers Conference presented on the ASU campus each March. The Nixon scholarship is awarded to graduate or law students from ASU who matriculate at the University of Georgia.
Each scholarship has particular requirements that must be met; some require writing samples and/or a recommendation by a professor that must be included with the scholarship application. Be sure to read the scholarship descriptions before printing out and completing the departmental application.
Patricia Smith Lesher Essay Contest
- Applicant must be an English major and have completed ENGL 1101 & 1102 (or 1113 & 1114); must submit literary research paper recommended by the professor in whose class it was written. Award presented at Honors Convocation.
Application Deadline - January 15
Patricia Smith Lesher Essay Form
Patricia Smith Lesher Scholarship
- Applicant must have completed ENGL 1101 & 1102 (or 113 & 1114) and HUMN 2001 by the end of spring semester; must have demonstrated ability to read literature sensitively and pursue literary research and study profitably; must express a moral commitment to fund a similar scholarship in the future should his/her financial position so permit. Candidates will be evaluated on their average in upper-division English courses and in courses taken to fulfill composition & humanities requirements, overall GPA, and the degree to which they embody the traits of dedication, discipline, & sensitivity which distinguished Patricia Lesher.
Application Deadline - April 1
Patricia Smith Lesher Scholarship Application
Charles Willig Memorial Scholarship
- Applicant must be an English major and have demonstrated a strong interest in creative writing; must have achieved a 3.0 or better overall GPA and/or demonstrated academic excellence in other ways; must have demonstrated leadership abilities based on extracurricular and/or community/professional activities. Scholarship will be awarded on the basis of merit and financial need. Application Deadline - April 1
Charles Willig Memorial Scholarship Application
The Will Shingleton Writing Scholarship
- Open to any writer studying at Augusta State University. Applicant must submit 2 copies of a writing sample, maximum of 20 pages of poetry OR 20-50 pages of a narrative or dramatic prose. Sample is to be identified by student number only and must be typed and double-spaced. Applicant must also submit an autobiographical essay of not more that 1,000 words and at least two references. Award winners enroll in one or more creative writing classes during the tenure of the award. Writing samples will not be returned.Application Deadline - April 1
Will Shingleton Scholarship Brochure
Will Shingleton Scholarship Application
Pamplin Talent Scholarship in Creative Writing & Drama
- Applicant must be an English or Communications major; must have demonstrated a strong interest and talent for creative writing or drama (technical or performance); must have an overall GPA of 2.5 or better; must have participated, at ASU, in the area of talent for which the scholarship is awarded. A writing sample must be provided for creative writing applicants. Application Deadline - April 1
Pamplin Talent Scholarship Application
Chelsea Anne Collins Scholarship
- Applicant must be an ASU student majoring in English or Foreign Language, demonstrate excellence in writing, and have at least a 3.0 GPA. Scholarship is awarded on the basis of academic merit and financial need. Application Deadline - April 1
Chelsea Anne Collins Scholarship Application
Mary Lu Kuhl Writing Scholarship
- Applicant must be ASU student who has completed ENGL 1101 & 1102 (or 1113 & 1114) and HUMN 2001 & 2002; has at least a 3.0 GPA, and an interest in writing. Writing sample required and will not be returned. Scholarship to be used as tuition to attend the Sandhills Writers Conference.
Application Deadline - January 1
English & Foreign Language International Scholarship
- ASU student majoring or minoring in a foreign language; must be sophomore level or higher and must use the monies to study abroad in a University System of Georgia program, offered in a country where French, German, or Spanish is spoken. Additional paperwork is required - see secretary in main office.
Application Deadline Varies
Gwinn Henry Nixon Scholarship
- This scholarship is for students who plan to pursue Law or Graduate Studies in the Liberal Arts at The University of Georgia. Applicant must have applied and been accepted to or attending UGA when the application is submitted. At least two letters of reference are recommended and a Graduate Scholarship Student Summary must be filled out for UGA.
Application Deadline Varies
UGA - Gwinn Nixon Scholarship Application
Edith Wright Bailey Scholarship in English Education
- Applicant must be a rising junior or senior, having completed the core courses in the education sequence by the end of spring semester, must have demonstrated an ability to articulate in writing and conversation an astute appreciation of literature and its relevance to life, and must express a commitment to a teaching career. Candidates will be evaluated on their overall GPA and their average in upper-division English courses and in courses taken to fulfill composition and humanities requirements. Candidates will also be judged on their dedication to teaching and their integrity, qualities manifested in the life and teaching career of Edith Wright Bailey. The committee for the scholarship will consider merit and financial need in determining the scholarship award. Application Deadline - April 1
Edith Wright Bailey Scholarship Application